Thursday 19 March 2015

March 11 2015 - The " Terrier" gets a break...... Split Cane by name and nature !

After the beautiful day on the Rother , we decided that a day after Esox Lucius on the upper non tidal Arun would be the order of the day . The river here has produced some big Pike in the past and its a great place to "just be " . Following the late start yesterday I was there bright and early with the light of expectation shining brightly as it was to be the first attempt at catching a Pike on my new cane rod and centerpin combo. I had even dug out one of my favourite Fishing gazette type pike bungs for the trip .

All went well until on testing the depth on the first cast the trace snagged on an obstruction . I lifted the rod , and heard a "wooden" splintering noise . My honest first thought was " where is the tree I haven't hit a branch !" , however the truth soon dawned as the splintering sound was not a branch but the top section of the Terrier . Best laid plans ....
The damage was a split in the bamboo just above the ferrule , and appeared to be fixable . However with no rod , a trip home to collect a new rod was the next hurdle to overcome .
When I eventually returned to the river , Jeff had arrived and I met up with him to explain my predicament .
The new set up of a favourite Carbon Pike rod and centerpin handled well , and I was soon looking forward to catching . Amazing what a quick sit down and cherry bakewell in good company and fine surroundings can do to your mood !

 To keep the cake theme moving the Cherry was soon a top of the cake with a nice Pike falling to my centrepin approach . I do like using a 'pin and the G and Y Ejecta 2 was behaving well . I think I will soon have the cast off the drum mastered .
Jeff soon joined in the fun with a couple of small Pike too.
Time to consult the Traditional Fishing Forum for some fixing advice for the Terrier !

No comments:

Post a Comment