Sunday 20 December 2015

To Swing or not to Swing ?

If its possible for a fishing method to immediately tranform me back to my " evergreen" youth , then its the swing tip . I really liked the method and it seemed to suit both the slow flowing stretches of the rivers Ouse and Uck that I used to fish at the time . When I moved to lakes , it immediately worked with many Tench and Bream falling to " my " method .
I also managed to regularly catch Pike on my legered worms at " Highlands lake" on the tip , which was great fun and probably sparked my interest in the species .
So in my re visiting of my youth I have dug out the old books from the WW library ...
 This was the classic . Old Fred was "on it "when it came to the tip . Then chapters in various other books developed the method . I must admit my own method was a small feeder with " Expo" groundbait and crumb with maggots , corn and worms on the hook . Seemed to work !
So the re development of the old method required a rod , as none of mine had a threaded tip ring . A search of E bay soon found a bargain and for the grand total of a fiver I got a rod exactly like my old schooldays one ! Once I had hold of it i realised that times have moved on ! I will use  it,  but the fibre glass construction and floppy action , and a lack of enough rings may limit its use . The problem with all the lakes I fish locally can be summed up in one word : Carp ! Now I like catching Carp , but NOT when I want to catch other things , as you either lose tackle to the Carp which I hate to happen , or up the line and rod strength to give a chance of landing safely one of the Golden devils ! Unfortunately the Diawa may not have the guts to do the necessary ..... we will see .
I also supplemented my swing tip collection ...
Also a quick search of the internet revealed a Sigma carbon leger  rod from Shakespeare for the grand total of £26 , so its on order. I know its not cane , but .....

The next stop is some water !

No comments:

Post a Comment