Saturday 28 November 2015

Seventh Time Lucky ....plus a surprise

My recent trips out after Pike have a common theme ; they were all blanks ! So 6 trips , with the new /old gear all fired up and poised but no luck , not even a sniff !
Well the seventh trip dawned and Jeff and I ventured into a cold dawn on the good ship " Finatic " .
The red sky in the morning adage ( Shepherds Warning ! ) did not bode well , but you have to be in it to win it !
The Hardy LRH No 2 , and the Gildex reels are performing well and just need some fishy adversary to test their mettle fully .
In the first spot , my float paternostered deadbait soon trundled off and the resulting strike produced a real Arun beauty .
She weighed 16 LBs and put a real bend in the LRH !
I quickly dropped the bait back in and a real snorter of a take took the float off into the middle of the river before it submerged . I struck and expected a small Pike to be the culprit but I was in for a surprise .

A Bass ! This is the third Bass I have had from the tidal river in the last 15 years of fishing . Amazing to get a sea fish this far up river , some 15 miles from the sea !

The next day dawned with a frost and we again headed off up river with the tide . We motored along way up river and fished a favourite area .

After a couple of moves I had a very tentative take , which I assumed was one of the local Eels which seem to take a great interest in deadbaits at this time of the year . ( Who says Eels are scarse ? They should look along the river they are packed in here ! ) A strike resulted in a very quick change of mind as to the culprit as the fish decided it didnt want to come and join us ! The rod and reel combo handled the situiation well but I must admit the left hand control of the Gildex is not my preferred option . The result was an 18lb fish in lovely condition . As we landed her , Jeff had a screaming run from a high single figure Pike as well . A feeding spell at last !

Jeff followed up with another Jack in quick time to bring the short lived feeding spell to an end .

Seven , my new lucky number !

No comments:

Post a Comment