Thursday 12 May 2016

Tinca Time

The change in the " Traditional " fishing season has opened up some fantastic fishing opportunities , especially for early season Tench . The size of the Tench reported over the last few years has been mind blowing . A fish of 3 lbs was a " good fish " when I was a teenager . In fact my biggest tench remained a solid 31/2 Lbs for some 15 years until a 6lb 12oz specimen eclipsed my Tench fishing world . But that fish is small in comparison to those reported now . In fact a 6lb Tench is the norm on many waters these days . You have to get to double figures to get a rating . Shame I say ! A Tench of 5lbs is in my view a real specimen on my local waters and I for one would be happy catching a few of those !

One complex of gravel pits that we fish is famous for its tench . Last year Jeff and I failed to land one . How would this year go ?

The weather in early May has been ideal . Warm and overcast . A day off work had to be booked to capitilise on the conditions . So it came to pass that Jeff and I would pit our wits against the early season Tench .

The best method is without doubt a semi fixed feeder with maggots as bait and feed . The feeder on an in line set up with a short hooklength . The hook adorned with maggots ( red) and an artificial one to slightly pop it up . So what did I do ? Fish a float of course ! With a centerpin for good measure !

 The weather forecast was spot on .Warm.  With overcast conditions and rain . My perfect Tench weather !
 Pleasing in appearance but even more pleasing in disappearance !
 5 lbs of green glistening gorgeousness !
 " look at his little red eye peter ! "
Jeff fished the feeder and caught 6 lovely Tench to 6lbs . I had three on the float. Superb !

No comments:

Post a Comment